Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Veritas Press: Phonics Museum App {Homeschool Review Crew}

It's hard for me to believe, and hard to admit, but I don't have any young children in my home anymore. I still enjoy the chance to review early childhood education products, though. I asked for help from friends to review the Phonics Museum App from Veritas Press. I also had my youngest play with it. Even though he's 15, he is still a struggling learner.
The Phonics Museum App is a multi-sensory, homeschool phonics app, for children ages 3-5, and up to 7 even. We received an annual subscription, which provides access for up to 3 children.
Veritas Press Phonics Museum

I had asked my homeschooling friend if I could get together with her once a week or so, while she had her 3 year old granddaughter and 6 year old grandson, so they could use the app on my 15 year old son's iPad. They also had a chance to play with it at church, after potluck.
Veritas Press Phonics Museum
I helped them set up their own accounts. They got to choose their own username, and avatar. They both thought that was fun. Then they each had a turn to log in, and "play."
I like that some of the themes used are art, nature, and a bit of a medieval flare. Each lesson consists of a video, a song, then alternate between a video, and a game. One of the games is dragging and dropping pictures that begin with a certain letter in to a catapult "bowl," which when full, launches balls toward the castle. Another one is tracing the upper and lower case letter.
Veritas Press Phonics Museum

There is one where you tap on a bird, that has the required letter on it, then it flies down into a bird bath. Another is a frog on a rock, surrounded by lily pads with a letter on each. You tap on the correct lily pad with the correct letter on it, and the frog’s tongue zaps the letter up. I think that one is my favorite!

Veritas Press Phonics Museum
Miss Biddle, the museum curator, is fun and vivacious as she teaches the lessons and guides the student through the museum, and the alphabet. Then there's Percival, the talking "suit of armor," who assists Miss Biddle. Sometimes Miss Biddle is shown as a live person, and sometimes she is an animation. Either way, she is rather endearing.

I know that little Miss M (my friend's granddaughter) was completely captivated, and had a lot of fun each time she had the opportunity to play with the app. She was quick and eager to learn. It didn't take her long to catch on to tracing the letters, nor matching the letters to their names and sounds.

The early lessons were definitely review for Mr. A, and my son. But they seemed to have fun with the activities as well, and seemed to enjoy the animations. I noticed there wasn't really any way to have them begin at a later position in the course of things; they had to begin at the very beginning. It would be nice to have the option to have older students, who have already learned some of the basics, to begin at a more advanced level.
Veritas Press Phonics Museum
I hope Miss M and Mr. A will want to continue play with the app whenever they have the chance! Thanks to their grandma, and their parents, for letting them test it for me.

Be sure to check out more Crew reviews; just click the banner below.

Connect with Veritas Press via social media:
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Instagram

Phonics Museum App {Veritas Press Reviews}

Crew Disclaimer


To make sure you don’t miss anything, subscribe to Life at Rossmont, or like Life at Rossmont on Facebook.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!