First of all, I do have each of my high schoolers do Home Ec; yes, even my sons. I think it's important for each of them to know how to cook, and do laundry. They also need to learn how to properly clean the house.
In this day and age, we find it is important to learn computer skills; not just proper hand placement on the keys, but also the proper format of typing up essays and reports. I've also tried to teach the kids proper format for business letters, and even personal letters.
Other courses I have had or plan to have my kids cover in their high school years are: foreign language (Botanist Boy wants to learn several languages; he plans to become a missionary); music appreciation, music lessons if possible; art appreciation and art techniques; physical education.
My husband is excellent at teaching the boys, in particular, home maintenance and repairs. He's even taught them some carpentry. They have also been learning auto mechanics and maintenance. Oh, don't forget driver's ed!
These are all great skills, which will benefit Botanist Boy if indeed he does become a missionary.
Tim began a job when he was in 11th grade. He's been at that job nearly 7 years now. He is dependable, and well-liked. Botanist Boy hopes to spend the next couple summers working for his friend, M's, dad in his landscaping business.
We have had a hobby farm; all of the kids have helped with the animal care. It was a great way for the kids to learn responsibility. I've also tried to have them work on gardening.
Now, drama, speech and debate are some subjects we've never covered. I think speech especially would be good for Botanist Boy to do, to prepare for a life of preparing and giving sermons.
What are some of the classes you plan to use as electives?
Read More on Homeschooling in the High School Years
- Chareen at Every Bed of Roses with thoughts on Electives in the High School Years
- Debbie at Debbie's Homeschool Corner shares Electives: The Fun Part of High School
- Carol over at Home Sweet Life on Homeschooling High School ~ Electives
- April from ElCloud Homeschool shares High School Homeschooling: Electives and Jobs
- Tess from Circling Through This Life shares on What about Electives? ~ Homeschool Highschool Blog Hop
- Leah from As We Walk Along the Road shares her thoughts on Choosing Electives for Homeschooling High School
- Kym at Homeschool Coffee Break shares on Customized Education and Electives
- Wendy at Life at Rossmont shares thoughts on High School Electives
- Gena over at I Choose Joy! shares Homeschool High School Public Speaking: Drama, Speech, and Debate
- Cristi from Through the Calm and Through the Storm shares on Interests + Opportunities = Electives
- Dawn Oaks at Double O Farms shares Just What Do You Do with Elective Requirements?
- Jennifer from A Glimpse of Our Life on High School Electives
- Michele at Family, Faith and Fridays shares How About Some Fun?
- Lisa at Golden Grasses says Frosting on the Cake- High School Electives, Jobs and College Prepping
- Meg from Adventures with Jude on High School Electives - Tasting the Real World
- Debra over at Footprints in the Butter asks Is your high schooler taking the "right" electives?
- Laura from Day by Day in Our World shares about Selecting the Best Electives in High School
To make sure you don’t miss anything, subscribe to Life at Rossmont, or like Life at Rossmont on Facebook.
Pin It Now!