Friday, May 18, 2012

5 Days of Blogging: Gardening, Day 5

Welcome back!

Today we'll talk about container gardening, which, in our case, will also include the Botanist Boy's house plants.

This year, all of my tomatoes are in containers, and placed around our back patio. I like the idea of being able to keep them close to the house, so they are handy when we want one or two for salads, or cheese and tomato sandwiches.




Yes, that top one is an old Sterilite tote. I like the bottom one, though, the half barrel. Perhaps I'll get another one or two of those.









One of the Botanist Boy's favorite things to do is take cuttings, and grow new plants from them. He also takes seeds of various kinds,  sprouts them, and grows new plants that way. Once he took several cherry pits, and grew himself a whole orchard of seedlings! He hasn't put them in to the ground anywhere yet.


He's even grown a mimosa from a tiny start, which he transplanted into our front yard.

Here are a couple resources, if you want to help your children learn more about gardening: Get Ready to Garden, by In the Hands of a Child; Agriculture, by Christian Cottage. Please tell me if you know of any others. I'd like to check them out for my boys.

I hope you've enjoyed your visits to my gardens, etc., this week! While you're here, I'd be very pleased, and honored, if you'd take the time to follow my blog! The button below will take you back to the Blog Hop. Enjoy!

Photobucket
Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. Roots, Shoots, Buckets, and Boots is a fun book about gardening.

    We did a Biblical unit study for gardening called How Does Your Garden Grow by Lynda Coats a couple of years ago. Here's where we got it... http://www.greenthumbfamily.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!