Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Y is for Yucca

Y is for Yucca
Our Yucca didn't bloom this year. I searched my photos, and discovered I didn't have any pictures of the yucca blossoms from previous years, either. Ah, well, at least I could get some of the plant itself!

I was first introduced to yuccas when we lived in the Texas panhandle, my sixth grade year. I've sound them an interesting plant ever since, and have great...respect...for the sharp points of the leaves.

Yucca is a genus of perennial shrubs and trees in the family Asparagaceae, subfamily Agavoideae. Its 40-50 species are notable for their rosettes of evergreen, tough, sword-shaped leaves and large terminal panicles of white or whitish flowers. They are native to the hot and dry (arid) parts of North America, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean. (Wikipedia)

Some uses of the Yucca.

Recipes:
Yucca Frita
Yucca French Fries
Cuban-Style Yucca
Yucca with Garlic Sauce

Can you think of any other flowers or plants which begin with the letter "Y"?
Be sure to join the others who are Blogging Through the Alphabet.

Next week we will wrap up this round of Blogging Through the Alphabet, with the letter "Z." Marcy plans a brief break, then we'll start up a new round on October 7.


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!