Friday, July 19, 2013

Hiking With Jesus, a book review of sorts

A few weeks ago, my mother sent us a devotional book, for primary age children, called Hiking With Jesus.
Even though it was the middle of the year, Little Bit and I began reading it each morning anyway. He's usually the first person up, after me, anyway, so I read it to him before he goes out to do pet chores.

It's a fun book to read. The author, Jim Feldbush, wrote this book so that it takes us through the entire Bible, from Genesis through Revelation, in chronological order.

Hiking With Jesus explores the world of nature, using stories and illustrations from the Bible. Have you heard nature referred to as God's second book?

Each day a Scripture passage is shared, then a verbal illustration given.

For example, this morning's passage was Isaiah 59:4,5 (No one calls for justice; no one pleads a case with integrity. They rely on empty arguments, they utter lies; they conceive trouble and give birth to evil. They hatch the eggs of vipers and spin a spider’s web. Whoever eats their eggs will die, and when one is broken, an adder is hatched.), and points out that people who lie and deceive are like spiders and snakes. They try to trap and hurt others in their lies, wanting them to be a part of their web of deceit. He also cautions not to get too close to those who lie and cheat, but stay focused on Jesus.

Little Bit still isn't reading fluently enough to read this on his own; maybe some day soon he will be! For now, I'll read to him (I don't mind!). I want him to be able to develop the habit of personal devotions each day; my desire for each of my children.

You can pick this book up at your nearest Adventist Book Center.


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!