Sunday, September 16, 2012

B is for Banded Agates {Blogging Through the Alphabet}

This past week was busy; I never got the Blogging Through the Alphabet post typed up and posted. I better get it done today, because tomorrow starts a new week for the meme.... ;-)

B is for Banded Agates

My cousin, Pete, was a rock hound, and a spectacular photographer. His specialty was agates.

My cousin, Pete, also fell victim to Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, which took his life about 2 1/2 years ago.

A few weeks ago, my father sent me a copy of The Beauty of Banded Agates, by Michael R Carlson, in which are many of Pete's photos. I must admit, when I pulled that book out of the package, knowing that my beloved cousin's photos would be found inside, I just hugged that book to me, and cried.

One of the page spreads of his photos


Pete and my dad were really close while they were growing up, almost like brothers, rather than uncle and nephew. For one, they were only about 5 years apart, age-wise.

I remember occasional visits to his and my aunt Esther's home in Wisconsin, and seeing some of his rocks on display. My children even were able to see some of his displays.

Now we have a few of the "culls." My dad made sure we were able to get a few of them. I'll divide them up among the kids, when they are ready to move out on their own...if they want them.




Pete traveled around the world, collecting specimens, as well as sharing slide presentations of his amazing photos and sharing his knowledge of these amazing works of God's creation. He was fairly well known and respected in the Mineral world.

Here is a poster which displays more of his photos of agates:


Notice the brilliant, vibrant colors of these gems! Absolutely stunning!

I hope you've enjoyed this small glimpse of these astounding minerals, and a tiny peek at my beloved cousin. Some days, I really miss him. Definitely looking forward to our Lord's soon coming, so I can go rock hunting with Pete!

Be sure to join the others who are Blogging Through the Alphabet. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!