Thursday, August 23, 2012

Christian Liberty Press: Mr. Pipes and the British Hymn Makers {Schoolhouse Review Crew}

When I first began homeschooling, my oldest in Kindergarten, I started out with a complete curriculum package from Christian Liberty Press...Then I became much more eclectic. I still use something from Christian Liberty Press every now and then, along with whatever else we are using.

Christian Liberty Press is  the publishing division of the nationally recognized Christian Liberty Academy School System which provides excellent educational products to home schools and Christian schools across the United States and throughout the world.

I have been wanting to incorporate more (read: some) music appreciation into our school time; and I find it fascinating to learn the history behind the hymns we sing in church. When offered the opportunity to read and review Mr. Pipes and the British Hymn Makers, I was very pleased. 

Mr. Pipes and the British Hymn Makers is a story about American teen siblings, Annie and Drew, who are visiting an English village one summer. While their mother is busy working, they are left with time to get acquainted with some of the people of the village, particularly an organist who goes by the nickname, Mr. Pipes.

He tells the teens stories of the British hymn writers while out on various outings, such as fishing, or train rides to London, etc. He tells them about: Thomas Ken; Isaac Watts; Charles Wesley; William Williams; John Newton; William Cowper; Augustus Toplady and Thomas Kelly; as well as various Scottish hymn writers, Anglican hymn writers, and women hymn writers.

We received the PDF version, which I loaded on to Jen's and my Kindles, with hopes that Jen would read it, as well. The Botanist Boy is reading it, on my basic Kindle, and is slowly making his way through.

I'm still reading through it as well, and am enjoying it. Perhaps part way through this school year, I'll read it aloud to Little Bit. And I'd like to play samples of the hymns by the various hymn writers as we go along.

This book is part of the four-part Mr. Pipes series by English author Douglas Bond.  This series teaches young people about the great hymns of the Christian faith. Each book in the series is a fictional adventure of two American teens, accompanied by an elderly English gentleman named Mr. Pipes, who along the way discover the value of hymns from a specific region or period of time.

Cost: Ebook--$8.79; print--$9.89. Set of all four books about Mr. Pipes--$38.99. Written specifically for grades 7-10, but I think as a read aloud to younger children will work well, too.

Contact Information:
Website
Email
Address:
502 West Euclid Ave
Arlington Heights, IL 60004
Phone: 800-348-0899
Facebook

Be sure to check what the rest of the Crew has to say about Mr. Pipes and the British Hymn Makers.
*****************    

Disclaimer: As a Schoolhouse Review Crew blogger, I am provided a free copy of the book, curriculum or product to test and use in order to write an honest review. I receive no other compensation and the opinions I share are my own and not influenced by the company in question.
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!