Friday, February 24, 2012

TOS Review: Apologia: Who Am I?

Who am I?...I grew up a teacher's kid. Both my parents taught in church schools. Our first school was in North Carolina, to which we moved from Michigan...So, not only were my brothers and I the teachers' kids, we were also Northerners moved to the South! ;-) Additionally, we were "the new kids"!

During my elementary/junior high years, we lived in North Carolina; the panhandle of Texas; Mobile, Alabama; and Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Most of the kids in those places never let me forget we were "teachers' kids," "new kids," "Yankees"...Being very shy didn't help much, either!! Friends were few; and the few I did have, caused me to develop a fierce loyalty toward them.

Tenth grade, I went away to boarding school, for the remainder of my high school years. My shyness probably would have kept my in my dorm room most of the time...but a couple of the other girls literally dragged me out to recreation, and out to the group hikes, the first few weeks I was there...then after that, I was hooked!

I developed many precious friendships, most of which I still maintain, these 30-35 years later! (I'll admit, sometimes I feel I may be more loyal to my friends than they might be to me...And my children seemed to have inherited that sense of loyalty!!)

During those growing up years, I know a resource such as Apologia's Who Am I? And What Am I Doing Here? would have proven very beneficial to me!
 Who Am I? is volume 2 of the What We Believe series. From the website:

Our children are bombarded on a daily basis with competing messages. Every song, movie, book, TV show, blog, and game is full of ideas—ideas about truth, morality, beauty, identity, faith, and more. Not all of these ideas are true. Some are wrong, some are deceptive, and some are outright destructive. It is more important than ever that young children be equipped to discern among competing ideas and stand in the truth. This is why Apologia has teamed with Summit Ministries to bring you the "What We Believe" Series. The "What We Believe" Series is an outstanding way to teach your child the essential beliefs of the Christian faith, but it’s so much more! With this student-directed, Bible-based curriculum, your children will learn how to use Scripture as a lens through which to view the world around them—to see everything the way God sees it—and know the truth.
Not only has media bombarded my children, but my older two have experienced two divorces with me; my younger two have experienced one. They've experienced the abandonment of earthly fathers.

I know it's been especially hard for Botanist Boy; he was his father's favorite child! (Yes, think of the Bible story of Jacob and Joseph!!) I've seen his self-image deteriorate terribly the past few years, to the point now, he doesn't even think he has any special, God-given talents, or God-given purpose in this life.

It was with great eagerness, and hope, on my part, that Who Am I? would touch my children's hearts, and help them to see that God truly does have a purpose for their lives; that He loves them even more deeply than I do; that He is always there for them, and will heal their hearts and hurts.
 
Along with the textbook, we received the audio book MP3 CD, as well as the notebooking journal, and coloring book. The CD is, literally, the whole textbook in audio, very pleasantly read by Emmy winner, Marissa Leinart. I am grateful to have the CD; the children probably are, too, so they don't have to listen to my scratchy voice all the time! ;-)



Who Am I? And What Am I Doing Here? helps children understand what it means to be fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of the Most High God.

This study will enable students to develop a healthy self-image based on these biblical truths:
  • God made me in His image and crowned me with glory
  • He has given me special gifts and a unique purpose in life
  • I can creatively express God's love
  • I am meant to think about beautiful and praiseworthy things, especially God and His Word
  • I must make decisions based on God's truth
  • I can always know the wise thing to do
  • I must cultivate the fruit of the Spirit in my life
  • I am a beloved child of God whose true identity is found in Christ
When we put the CD in, and began listening to it together, I couldn't keep the tears from coming to my eyes, especially when the story about Sasha started. This little Russian boy was born lame...which means, born different from other kids in his village, born with a "disability" or special needs.

I have a little boy who was also born with special needs. Little Bit is hearing impaired, speech impaired, and developmentally delayed/learning delayed....In fact, a somewhat recent psychological evaluation finds him "mildly mentally retarded" (hmmm; I didn't think that term was even still used! ;-) ).

While I have known from Day 1 (well, even while my precious children were still in the womb!) that God had a special purpose for each of my children, it is my hope, desire, prayer that they will allow God to show each of them that purpose Himself! That they will be able to see how much He loves them! How precious each one is to Him.

I had this very discussion with Botanist Boy just the other day, when he was feeling especially down on himself. He was claiming he couldn't think of anything he is especially good at, seemed to be feeling pretty "worth-less." I had to remind him of a couple of his amazing talents: he is extremely creative and imaginative! He can create the most amazing things from what most people would consider junk or trash! He also has a special ability (and love) for growing plants! He planted himself a whole orchard of cherry seedlings once! ;-)

The Titanic

Castle, made from an apple box, etc.

Lighthouse, and boat

My heart aches for the broken, bruised, battered hearts of my children!! So I pray that the message in Who Am I? reaches them to the very core of their beings!

Even though the curriculum is designed for children ages 6-14, I think Teen Girl and I will also benefit from it! I've had Botanist Boy working through the notebooking journal, which at first he was reluctant to do...but he seems to be catching on to it more. Little Bit has been enjoying the coloring book. I'll probably get him a notebooking journal of his own a few years down the road.


Cost:

Who Am I? Book-hardcover $39.00
Notebooking Journal-spiral bound $24.00
Audio Book MP3 CD $19.00
Who Am I? Coloring Book $8.00

Contact Information:

Website

Email

Address:
Apologia Educational Ministries
1106 Meridian Plaza Suite 220
Anderson, IN 46016 US

Phone: 888-524-4724
Fax: 765-608-3290

Facebook
Twitter


Be sure to check out what the rest of the Crew has to say about Who Am I? by going here.



*****************
As a review blogger, I am provided a free copy of the book, curriculum or product to test and use in order to write an honest review. I receive no other compensation and the opinions I share are my own and not influenced by the company in question. Pin It Now!

7 comments:

  1. I just want you to know you're review was very special. YOu did a wonderful job! Keep letting them know how much He loves them

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your personal touch in this review! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! This sounds like a great book and series. I'm praying that God will use it as a tool to impress on your kids how very special they are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful heartfelt review, hugs to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I enjoyed seeing the pictures of your son's creations, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job, Wendy! I pray each lesson will touch the child that needs it the most that day. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!