Thursday, December 8, 2011

TOS Review: Pitsco Education--Medieval Machines Pack

I'll tell you a secret: When I found out we were on the list to review the catapult and trebuchet kits, I began hyperventilating!! That's how excited I was for my boys!


Pitsco Education products are developed especially for your hands-on learner. Pitsco offers a variety of hands on Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) products and curriculum. They have even put together several kit and curriculum packages specifically for homeschoolers!

The kit we received for our review was the Medieval Machines Pack. It contained the Trebuchet Kit, the Catapult Kit, Mass Plates, and the Siege Machines book. We also received a box of clay, so we could make projectiles for our siege machines.



From the website:
From The Lord of the Rings to Night at the Museum, we are fascinated by these medieval devices. Now, use that interest to teach basic math, science, and problem-solving skills. With this pack, your child learns about catapults and trebuchets through hands-on activities that cover three areas:
  • Science: Tension versus torsion, elasticity, gravity and levers, and force and motion
  • Math: Metric conversion, calculating averages, and prediction
  • Experiments: Mass versus distance, testing rubber bands, targeting, and more
They will discover the history of medieval siege machines as well as the concepts required to build and use them.
Hubby helped Botanist Boy build the trebuchet, minimally anyway. Since "a picture is worth a thousand words," I'll just show you how things went!






Here he is working on the catapult. This time, hubby was "along" only as photographer!








Then Botanist Boy used some of the scrap pieces, and designed some carts, in which to carry his ammunition. 
 

Botanist Boy and Little Bit have spent hours playing with their siege machines, Lego men, and the castle Botanist Boy built a couple years ago....






The Medieval Machines Pack costs $21.95. I know Botanist Boy wants another catapult for Little Bit; he also wants to get one for his best bud back in Florida! These are definitely items any boy (or girl!) who's interested in engineering, history and war machines, science, or math, I know you will find something fun for them from Pitsco!

Contact Information:


Email: orders@pitsco.com

Address:
Pitsco, Inc.
P.O. Box 1708
Pittsburg, KS 66762-1708


Phone: 800-835-0686
Fax: 800-533-8104

Facebook
Twitter


Be sure to check out what my fellow Crew mates have to say about Pitsco Education here.


*****************
As a review blogger, I am provided a free copy of the book, curriculum or product to test and use in order to write an honest review. I receive no other compensation and the opinions I share are my own and not influenced by the company in question. Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. I love the creativity they used. My daughter (and husband) had a blast with this kit as well. Great job with documenting everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we are studying this era currently and I'm pulling information from all over the place! Thank you for the input- I love these products!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!