Sunday, October 23, 2011

TOS Review: Apologia--Educating the WholeHearted Child

Are you new to homeschooling? Do you feel overwhelmed by all the choices you have to make?

Or are you a veteran homeschooler now? Do you feel like your homeschooling efforts are a bit stagnant?

Educating the WholeHearted Child will be very useful in making many of those decisions and choices. If you really want to emphasize the spiritual aspect and growth in your home, this book will guide you.

This is a large book, measuring 8 1/2" x 11" and containing around 375 pages of encouragement, guidance, information, resources, and even some forms at the back to photocopy for your use.

Educating the WholeHearted Child could be considered a textbook for parents, whether homeschooling, or not. There is a lot of information on developing a Christ-centered, Biblical home and family, teaching parents how to nurture and train up our children in the Lord.

The book is divided into four sections:
  1. Home
  2. Learning
  3. Methods
  4. Living

You can see the table of contents, and even a sample chapter.

I will admit, when I received the book, and saw the size of it, I felt a bit overwhelmed! I mean, I can't easily curl up with it in my chair.


Neither can I cuddle up in bed to read it....


So, that means I usually sit at the table or desk to read. Not the most comfortable, but the information in Educating the WholeHearted Child is so helpful, I'm definitely willing to sit where ever I need to in order to glean that information!

My hubby took one look at the book, and declared he'd never read it, due to the size. Perhaps if each section was published in its own volume, it would be a more manageable read for my husband. Or maybe even if there was an audio format available, then he could listen to it during his one-hour commute to and from work. I imagine there are other busy husbands who feel the same way.

Educating the WholeHearted Child is, frankly, a book I have wanted to get my hands on since early on in my homeschool career. It's just one of those resources that's been around several years! The copy I received is a third edition copy.

Even though I am no where near finished reading it, I am already gleaning such excellent information which God is using to speak to my heart. It also makes me regret I didn't have this book earlier, to use these methods, etc., with my older two children. Hopefully it isn't too late for my younger two! :)

From the preface:

While the world may judge our children against the temporal standards of intelligence, appearance, money, power, and fame, God will judge them by their hearts--"The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart" (1 Samuel 16:7b). we are raising our children for God's approval. If you are reading this book, it is likely you share our vision for Christian parenting. You have considered the costs and committed yourself to the most important stewardship God will ever entrust to your care--your children. That is why you are homeschooling--to make sure, as far as your are able, that you give back to God children who are wholeheartedly devoted to Him.

This is definitely a book you will want to take your time reading, to savor and digest!


You can purchase Educating the WholeHearted Child from Apologia, for $22.00. Apologia carries other products, as well: Science, Geography/History, Creative Writing, Bible study, etc.

Contact Information:


Email form

Address:
Apologia Educational Ministries
1106 Meridian Plaza Suite 220
Anderson, IN 46016 US

Phone: 888-524-4724
Fax: 765-608-3290

Facebook
Twitter

To read what other Crew members have to say about Educating the WholeHearted Child, click the banner below.


*****************

As a review blogger, I am provided a free copy of the book, curriculum or product to test and use in order to write an honest review. I receive no other compensation and the opinions I share are my own and not influenced by the company in question. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!