Monday, September 1, 2008

The Storms of life.....

There are many storms in life. Relationship storms; vocation storms; health storms; and, of course, the storms of nature.

Just over a week ago, we went through Tropical Storm Fay. While it wasn't a major storm (not a hurricane), it did dump a lot of rain. I think that storm covered every inch of Florida. In the area we are, there was minimal damage: tree limbs and trees down. Our power was off for about 7 1/2 hours. We discovered we didn't have any 'D' batteries for the lantern! And WalMart was out of them when I checked there! It brought out the snakes and alligators. In fact, we saw an alligator crossing the road on Sabbath, on our way to church!!

Then Gustav developed. I have been tracking it.....saddened by the devastation to Haiti (where my mom was born, to missionary parents); concerned as it roared through the Caymans (because one of my high school classmates is from the Caymans, and his whole family still lives there). And now I watch as it bears down on Louisiana....still recovering from Katrina and Rita, three years ago.

The evacuation has been phenomenal! This time, people have listened, and have fled while they have the chance. But some people have to stay behind. Emergency personnel; National Guard personnel; law enforcement personnel; broadcast personnel and reporters. We must pray for their safety.

The coast will receive the greatest impact, yes. But further inland will be impacted as well. So, I sit here, 600 miles away, knowing that my beloved is over there....and since he is in broadcasting, and an engineer (responsible for making sure the transmitter is up and running!), I am sure he will have to be out in the storm sometime. At least he is "camped out" at the TV station, and not home in his mobile home! And, no matter what, he is in God's hands. This gives one great peace, knowing one's loved ones are safe in God's hands.

Our hearts are touched and moved and grieved even, as we watch the scenes as they unfold.....the evacuation, the approaching storm, the damage that is sure to take place. Our God is a mighty God; He can calm the storm. I know thousands are praying for such a thing to take place. But God sees the end from the beginning. He knows what is best for all involved. May His voice be heard by all who will listen! And may this be yet another reminder of the nearness of His soon return.

And the LORD, he it is that doth go before thee; he will be with thee, he will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed.
Deuteronomy 31:8

Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea Psalm 46:2

The LORD is on my side; I will not fear Psalm 118:6

Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. Isaiah 41:10

For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee. Isaiah 41:13
Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. Stay safe and dry! Praying safety for your husband as well...

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!