Wednesday, December 30, 2015

The Finish Line: Graduation

Our final topic for the Homeschooling High School blog hop is, of course, graduation.

Now that your child has covered all the requirements, and some electives, how do you celebrate the completion of the high school years? Does the homeschool group you may be a part of have an annual graduation ceremony? What if you don't belong to a homeschool group; what then?
When Tim was ready to graduate, we actually just had a simple program at church, after church and potluck.

I had prepared a PowerPoint presentation, which played on the screen. Then the pastor spoke a few words, then I spoke a few words and presented Tim with his diploma. I don't think the program lasted more than about thirty minutes. The only family present were the kids, hubby and I.
Timothy and I designed his graduation announcement together.

The verse on his announcement is Isaiah 32:2, NIV:
Each one will be like a shelter from the wind    and a refuge from the storm,
like streams of water in the desert    and the shadow of a great rock in a thirsty land.
For those of you who know anything about Tim, you know why this verse is appropriate! He has been interested in storms and natural disasters from a very young age. Perhaps it's an "inherited" trait. <grin> Both his biological father and I are interested in such things (his father more than I, perhaps).

Of course I blogged about his graduation, and about him, around that time. Part 1. Part 2. (some of the pictures are missing in these posts, because I connected them from Webshots, which seems to no longer exist; I'll have to fix that sometime...when I get back to my own computer) There are photos from our senior photo shoot, here.
When Jen was ready to graduate, we were part of a homeschool group, which holds an annual graduation ceremony for all the high school seniors in the group...or at least for those who wish to participate in the ceremony.

We (the seniors and parents) had several planning sessions, beginning in January or February of the senior year. Caps, gowns, and diploma covers were ordered. There was even a photographer who did a photo shoot of the kids.

It was a lovely ceremony, very spiritual and Christ-centered.

The young people marched in. There were musical numbers performed. Someone gave an inspirational speech. The students then sat up on the platform. There was a PowerPoint played for each student, and each of us parents went up to give a brief address to our child, and presented him/her with the diploma.
Jennifer and I designed her graduation announcement/invitation. The verse she chose was Jeremiah 29:11.
"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Naturally, I blogged about her graduation, as well...or at least preparations for it. You may want a tissue handy if you read that post; I know I do, anyway.

Looking ahead to the Botanist Boy's graduation (fortunately I have about 2 1/2 years yet to prepare my heart for that one!!), I imagine his will be more along the lines of a quiet, simple celebration, like Tim's was. But we'll see.

As you can see, there are different types of graduation celebrations from which to choose. Simply choose which ever best suits your student and your family. Be sure to treasure the memories, and take lots of photos!
Homeschool High School 2015 Blog Hop

To make sure you don’t miss anything, subscribe to Life at Rossmont, or like Life at Rossmont on Facebook.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!