Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Help Stop the Senseless Killing of Whooping Cranes!

You all may know by now how I feel about Whooping Cranes.

When I was in ninth grade, my science fair project was about wildlife conservation. I targeted three creatures: one that had nearly been wiped out, but was making a come back (the American Bison); one that was on the verge of extinction, because there were so few (the Whooping Crane), and one that is now extinct (the Passenger Pigeon).

This began my "love affair" with the Whooping Crane. It was rekindled when we moved to Florida, and I learned about Operation Migration, and the work they are doing to reintroduce the Whooping Crane in Florida. The children and I witnessed several fly overs, when OM team brought the birds to Florida, and now I follow along via web cam. (This cam, too)

The Whooping Crane population has grown from 15 birds in 1941, to nearly 600 now.

It is sad, even angering, to hear about the senseless killing of these beautiful birds. In November, 2013, someone shot 2 in Kentucky; and just recently, 2 more were shot in Louisiana.

Hence my reason for sharing the following article:
Letter: Louisiana failing as crane steward | Opinion | The Advocate — Baton Rouge, LA

To make sure you don’t miss anything, subscribe to Life at Rossmont

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!