Tuesday, August 6, 2013

U is for Umbrella Magnolia

U is for Umbrella Magnolia

This is another letter for which I don't have a photo of my own to share. I'm sharing this one, from Alabama Plants. Please go there, to see more photos.
The scientific name for the Umbrella Magnolia, or Umbrella-tree, is Magnolia tripetala. This deciduous tree is native to southeastern United States, particularly to the Appalachian Mountains. The leaves are large, 12-24 inches long. The flowers are white, and apparently have an unpleasant odor.

I think I've seen one or two Umbrella Magnolias around town here.

Another "U" plant is the Umbrella Plant, or Schefflara arboricola, or just Schefflara. It is native to Taiwan. It can be grown as a shrub, but is most commonly a houseplant. I think my mother has always had one, and I am pretty sure my Botanist Boy would enjoy having one, too. Here's how to care for an Umbrella Plant.  

What other flowers or plants can you think of which begin with "U"?

P.S. In case you're wondering: yeah, I'm not really looking forward to reaching the letter "X"! Would you like to help me think of a flower or plant which begins with "X"?
Be sure to join the others who are Blogging Through the Alphabet.

Please be sure to subscribe to follow my blog, so you won't miss anything. For your convenience, I have linked up several possibilities for you to do so, if you'll notice over in the sidebar.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!