Tuesday, July 16, 2013

R is for Roses

R is for Roses
My tea rose
Roses
~by George Eliot
You love the roses - so do I. I wish
The sky would rain down roses, as they rain
From off the shaken bush. Why will it not?
Then all the valley would be pink and white
And soft to tread on. They would fall as light
As feathers, smelling sweet; and it would be
Like sleeping and like waking, all at once!


Miniature rose
A rose is a woody perennial of the genus Rosa, within the family Rosaceae. There are over 100 species. They form a group of plants that can be erect shrubs, climbing or trailing with stems that are often armed with sharp prickles. Flowers vary in size and shape and are usually large and showy, in colours ranging from white through yellows and reds. Most species are native to Asia, with smaller numbers native to Europe, North America, and northwest Africa.

Rose plants range in size from compact, miniature roses, to climbers that can reach 7 meters in height. (from Wikipedia)
Red rose
I'll admit, I love roses! They rank in my top three favorite flowers. I'll admit something else: I don't seem to know how to care for them well enough so that they'll grow and thrive for me. I guess I need to invest in some rose-care books or something.

A few years back (I think in 2009) my two youngest boys bought me two rose bushes for Mother's Day, the tea rose, and the red rose. It seems like the tea rose has died, is very nearly dead. This really saddens me.

Even my miniature rose isn't looking very well.

Perhaps I need to investigate some of these resources myself!
How to Grow Roses
All-America Rose Selection
American Rose Society

Books:
Roses for Dummies (that'd be me!)
Roses: Placing Roses, Planting & Care, The Best Varieties
Everyday Roses: How to Grow Knock Out® and Other Easy-Care Garden Roses

What other flowers or plants can you think of with begin with the letter "R"?
Be sure to join the others who are Blogging Through the Alphabet.

Please be sure to subscribe to follow my blog, so you won't miss anything. For your convenience, I have linked up several possibilities for you to do so, if you'll notice over in the sidebar.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!