Monday, April 9, 2012

TOS Review: TruthQuest History

When I was growing up, I really didn't care that much for history, especially ancient or world history. Perhaps the main reason was the method in which I was taught: textbooks, and dry lectures.

In my adult years, though, I have become fascinated with history, due largely to reading "living books"! Living books, along with field trips/living history, and various videos, has become my favorite way to teach my children history...And at least one of my children is developing an enjoyment, perhaps even love, for history.

I was excited to learn we'd have the opportunity to use and review one of the TruthQuest History guides, because I know each guide provides dozens, hundreds, even, of resources for "living books".
TruthQuest History is a deep and rich literature-based history study…but with a difference. You will not learn the story of mankind; you will learn the lovestory of mankind. You will not focus on the rise and fall of human civilizations; you will focus on the arrow-straight line of God's unchanging existence, power, love, truth, and plan for civilization. You will not simply 'meet the culture' or 'get the facts;' you will probe the truths of history so deeply that your students will be equipped to change their world!
This is how I want my children to learn history....as His story. The Big 2 Beliefs (Who is God, and who, then, is mankind?) of the people in history are considered, and will teach each of us.

There are 2 levels from which to choose:

  • Level 1, designed for grades 1-5, covering American History, and consisting of 3 guides 
  • Level 2, designed for grades 5-12, begin with creation/ancient history, and fully cover European and American history to just after the year 2000. This level contains 8 guides.
Younger siblings can often tag along, and though the commentary and ThinkWrite exercises are deeper in these upper guides, the reading lists include all the book titles for the younger set as well. These upper TruthQuest History guides can be used by non-Americans as well, for all are interested in ancient and medieval/Renaissance history…and the three final guides (Age of Revolution I, II, and III) on the years 1600-2000+, cover both American and European history (60-40 split, usually). We try to mention a couple key events in Canada, Australia, and New Zealand when possible, as well.
 

The guide we received was the PDF version of Age of Revolution II, covering 1800-1865. You can view the Table of Contents and a Sample Section. For the sake of the review, I could have chosen to cover such topics as the Louisiana Purchase, or the Lewis and Clark Expedition, or the War of 1812. But we chose to do a brief overview of The War Between the States.

Our main reason for choosing this topic, is because we planned to attend some Civil War Reenactments: one in Florida, when we were there a month ago; one near us here, at Port Hudson; and another at Jackson, Louisiana. We also would like to visit the boyhood home of Jefferson Davis, which is only about 10 miles from our home.

Crystal River, Florida






Port Hudson, Louisiana







I like their How to Choose planning page. I think we'll be switching gears a bit, for World/American history, art and music history, over the next few years, since Botanist Boy is entering 7th grade next year. I plan to begin a chronological study of history for him, and Little Bit can come along for the ride for a few years, at a lighter level than his brother. Using some of the suggested biographies and historical fiction (and videos) will be very appealing for my history-loving preteen boy.

Print copies cost $24.95-$29.95, and the PDF versions are $19.95-$24.95. Also available are Binder-Builder, Notebook, and Map/Timeline/Report items from A Journey Through Learning.

Contact Information:

Website
Email


Address:
TruthQuest History
PO Box 2128
Traverse City, MI 49685-2128

Facebook
Yahoo Email Group


Be sure to check out what others of the Crew have to say about TruthQuest History!

*****************
Disclaimer: As a review blogger, I am provided a free copy of the book, curriculum or product to test and use in order to write an honest review. I receive no other compensation and the opinions I share are my own and not influenced by the company in question. Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. What a great way to bring history to life. I like the way you were able to integrate field trips with these lessons.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!