Monday, December 13, 2010

TOS Review: ALEKS

I've admitted before that math is our weakest subject around here, so I am thankful we have an opportunity to use and review the ALEKS program.

From the website: What is ALEKS?--Assessment and LEarning in Knowledge Spaces is a Web-based, artificially intelligent assessment and learning system. ALEKS uses adaptive questioning to quickly and accurately determine exactly what a student knows and doesn't know in a course. ALEKS then instructs the student on the topics she is most ready to learn. As a student works through a course, ALEKS periodically reassesses the student to ensure that topics learned are also retained.


ALEKS is available for a variety of subjects and courses, grades 3-12, and even higher and continuing education, in mostly maths and sciences. You can read a more detailed overview here.

It is very useful for homeschoolers for these reasons:

  • Complete Curriculum Solution for Math with Access to Full Course Library

  • No Textbook Required

  • Artificial Intelligence Targets Gaps in Student Knowledge

  • Assessment and Individualized Learning for Grades 3-12

  • Master Account - Monitor and Direct Learning Progress

  • Unlimited Online Access - PC & Mac Compatible


What is the cost? For an one child, it is $19.95 per month; $99.95 for 6 months; or $179.95 for 12 months. There is a family discount program, too. If you want to try it out, there is a brief free trial available, as well.

When you subscribe, a student account is set up, as well as a master account for you, the parent. I really like that feature, because it allows you to monitor what your child is learning. A weekly report is emailed to you, so you know how many minutes your child worked on the program, what topics he/she covered, results of assessment, etc.

My 17 year old daughter is working on the geometry course. I also have my middle son working on level 4 mathematics. I've been requiring them to spend a minimum of 20-30 minutes each day, before they can do anything else on the computer (i.e. play).

I asked my two students what they thought of it: The 17 year old said: "It's kind of fun!" When I asked her what she liked and didn't like, she couldn't think of an answer! LOL I asked my 11 year old his opinion, and he said: "I don't know; I guess it's okay.". . . How's that for non-committal?! ;)

Anyway, I don't know about my children, but I am thankful for the opportunity to use ALEKS. It's nice to give them a little extra accountability to someone/something besides just mom!

Be sure to check out some of the other reviews of ALEKS by my Crew mates; just click on the banner.


*****************


As a review blogger,  I am provided a free copy of the book, curriculum or product to test and use in order to write an honest review. I receive no other compensation and the opinions I share are my own and not influenced by the company in question. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!