Monday, November 8, 2010

Memoir Mondays--Week 7

This week we get to talk about cooking, and food! One of my favorite subjects! ;-)

Describe your cooking skills and your favorite thing to cook.

I truly enjoy cooking, for the most part. I used to think I was a fairly adequate cook....until I married the dear man to whom I am now married...and discovered there is very little I can cook that he is able to eat! :p I have to remind myself, that it has more to do with the fact that, his special health conditions make it very difficult for him to even be able to find something he can eat.

For the most part, I am a vegetarian cook. I spent many years cooking vegan, even. Seven years ago my daughter was diagnosed with Celiac Disease, so I learned to cook gluten free. A couple months later, she was diagnosed with diabetes, so then I had to learn how to cook with that in mind. (Then one of the doctors told us my daughter didn't have Celiac, after all....).

My husband has GERD, is lactose intolerant, cannot eat anything acidic.....Pretty much, he eats meat, potatoes, breads/pastas, and very few fruits or vegetables. It is more challenging trying to cook for his special needs, than it was trying to cook for my daughter when she was eating gluten free.

Let's see; what is my favorite thing to cook?...Breads? Vegetarian entrees? Most likely, it would have to be desserts, probably cookies. More specifically, chocolate peanut butter no bake cookies....I think.


Describe one of your favorite foods from childhood.

Both my parents were church school teachers. They both worked long hours, so most of our meals had to be fast, and many were prepackaged, quick and easy to prepare.

I remember one meal that my father would make, it seems nearly every Sunday for breakfast. We called them "Daddy's Sandwiches".....peanut butter and marshmallow sandwiches, dipped in a batter (like for French toast), and cooked in a skillet. They were served with cottage cheese, and applesauce.

By the way, I do have a vegetarian cooking blog (which is extremely undernourished at this time!!).

**************************
Please stay tuned for more episodes of Memoir Mondays!

Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I thought my family was picky - big difference between picky and can't eat. I admire your drive to find foods that work for everyone! You are vegetarian, but your husband is not? I bet that's a challenge as well. I like your dad's breakfast - sounds fun. My dad use to make apple pancakes on the weekends - I miss those too!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!