Friday, August 31, 2007

Potatoes

Someone on the Five in a Row message boards asked for some new ways for fixing potatoes, so several of us shared some of our recipes.

Here is one I shared; I don't remember who shared it with me in the first place, but it sounds so yummy. Today I made it to take to potluck tomorrow after church! I'm not sure I like the name of the recipe! LOL But maybe it is more appropriate for this weekend than even I realize right now.........


Funeral Potatoes (serves 16)

1 24-ounce bag frozen shredded (not diced!) hash brown potatoes, thawed
2 cans cream of chicken soup (I used cream of celery)

2 cups sour cream*
1 cup grated cheddar*
1/2 cup plus 2 T. melted butter*
1/3 cup chopped onion
2 cups crushed cornflakes

Combine 2 T. melted butter and cornflakes. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Blend well. Pour potato mixture in a large oblong pan. Sprinkle crushed cornflake mixture on top and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve hot.

*Do not use low-fat versions of these ingredients. Low-fat sour cream and cheddar will not melt, and margarine has water in it.


Another one I shared on the thread is this one, which came from my first mother-in-law:


Sabbath Potatoes

Grate cooked, cooled potatoes into casserole (enough to make about 1 inch layer). Spoon some cottage cheese over this. Chop some onion over this. Sprinkle with sweet basil and parsley. Then another layer of potatoes. Top with grated yellow cheese. Pour canned milk over this. Bake till hot and bubbly. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!