Saturday, March 4, 2006

Harsh reality.....

This week, many lives were touched....rocked....by the unexpected death of a fellow homeschooling mom.  Most of us just knew her via the internet, but it still affected us.


 


It makes one stop to ponder....and many are, over on the Five in a Row message boards.  What would happen to our children if we were suddenly taken?  How would they cope, and go on with life?  Who, besides our parents, siblings, spouses, children, would even miss us?  Have we accomplished God's plan for our lives?


 


In moments like this, we also need to stop and ask ourselves, are we living our lives in a way that is pleasing to God, now?  Are we using our abilities to best honor and glorify Him?  Are we instilling in our children the things that are of eternal value?  The things that will prepare them for this life, and the life to come?


 


There are others, too, have gone before us.  My grandfather was very dear and precious to me.  He lived a long, successful life.  Still, his death was unexpected to us.  He was in great health, even at the age of nearly 98.  But he took a fall in the bathroom one Friday evening, while preparing to take his shower.  No one checked up on him until Monday morning!  (My parents, siblings, and I lived too far away.  We didn't even hear about it until after he'd died!)  It was sudden, unexpected.


 


My father was recently diagnosed with cancer.  That has sent a shock wave of fear through the family!  But, praise God, it hasn't spread to his bones--nor any other organs, that I have heard.  He will have surgery next month, though.


 


It makes me wonder, what would my life, my mom's life, my brothers' lives, our children's lives, be like without him?  My parents will celebrate 50 years of marriage in August. 


 


Life is so fragile.  It can be so easily snuffed out.  And Satan likes nothing better than to end a life of one who has such a positive, Christlike impact on others.  And there are times, in God's infinite mercy, that a life is spared.  I think of a recent auto accident my husband had.  It wasn't as bad as the one he had in April, 2004; but God again spared his life. 


 


May we each take today (for it really is all we have), search our hearts, and make sure we are ready to meet our Maker, should He come today.  May we also take today, to make sure our children are ready, and each of our loved ones.  And may we each today let our loved ones know how much we really do love them.  (I type this as my children scream at each other in the background! )

Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. Missey's homegoing has also rocked my world for the past few days. Her death comes during a week of 4 other deaths and my grandmother being placed in the hospital. (We thought we were going to lose her, too). I had just read a few days before all of this began about today being the only day we have to make a difference and live for Christ. Now He is showing me in real life, not just words. I have found myself enjoying my kids more these past few days, but can I remember this a month from now? Can I learn to truly make the most of my days? Can I remember that life is but a vapor? Lord, help me!


    Blessings,

    Becky

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!