Monday, March 2, 2015

Koru Naturals {Schoolhouse Review Crew}

One thing that is fun about being on the Schoolhouse Review Crew is that occasionally we are given the opportunity to try out something not "school related," like products from Koru Naturals. We received a 2 ounce bottle of Emu Oil, and Koolpurrie Restoring Balm.

Koru Naturals is a company based in North Carolina, which provides skin care products made from natural substances, such as emu oil, lanolin, manuka honey and oil, tea tree oil, rosehip oil, and more, from New Zealand.

"Koru" is the Maori name given to the new unfurling frond of the fern, which symbolizes new growth, life, strength and peace.

Emu oil is a natural product traditionally used by Australian Aboriginals, containing natural ingredients which include vitamins, minerals, and essential fatty acids Omega 3 and 6. This oil highly penetrates the skin, making it an effective moisturizer. It is hypoallergenic, and is non-comedogenic, meaning it doesn't clog the pores.

The Koolpurrie Restoring Balm is a combination of emu oil and lanolin, which produces a balm with a long-lasting emollient with the ability to soothe, hydrate and heal dry, cracked, or discolored skin. You know, the kind of hands that have to be out in this rough, winter weather.

I have long known the benefits of lanolin; my first husband worked with sheep while he was a farmhand in Montana. He would get the lanolin on his hands from their wool. So when Botanist Boy was having problems with dry, chafed, hands from working outside in the frigid damp air a couple months ago, I knew we needed to try out the Koolpurrie Restoring Balm. Even my hands have needed it a few times.

Koolpurrie works well; just a small amount smeared on the backs of my hands at bedtime (which is when I usually use it), and my hands feel much better, smoother in the morning. Botanist Boy found the same results when he used it.

Since I struggle with dry scalp, I was anxious to try the emu oil on my scalp. I massage it all over my scalp, trying to focus especially on the driest, itchiest areas, a few minutes before I am ready to take my shower. Then I shampoo my hair (it's recommended to use a gentle shampoo). I have noticed that my scalp isn't as dry and flaky when I use the emu oil. I've also noticed that I only need to shampoo my hair just a couple times a week now.

I know a little about lanolin, and where it comes from, how it is extracted. Sheep do not have to die to provide lanolin. Well, I (naively) thought that emu oil was extracted much the same way. I mean, you know, birds preen; perhaps that is where the oil comes from, glands. After researching, I learned emu oil is actually from the fat of the dead bird. I just wanted to point that out for any of my readers who might appreciate that type of information.

Members of the Crew received other products from Koru Naturals, so you'll want to check out the rest of the reviews.

Want to connect with Koru Naturals via social media?
Facebook
Pinterest

Koru Naturals Review

Crew Disclaimer



To make sure you don’t miss anything, subscribe to Life at Rossmont, or like Life at Rossmont on Facebook.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!