Friday, August 16, 2013

The Family Hope Center--Understanding Child Brain Development {Schoolhouse Review Crew}

When I was a student at Laurelbrook Academy (way back in the "dark ages"), I remember one speaker we had, probably during a Week of Prayer, who discussed the brain, and how amazing our God created it to be. Ever since, I have welcomed other opportunities to learn more about the brain.

Recently I was given another such opportunity. The Family Hope Center asked the Crew to review a DVD, called Understanding Child Brain Development.

The Family Hope Center wishes to empower parents to heal their children, by treating each child as a unique individual. They believe that each child is different and deserves individual treatment. They have developed a unique diagnostic chart, which helps them design a program specifically created to develop your child to be the very best he or she can be.
Understanding Child Brain Development is a DVD produced from a two-hour seminar by Matthew and Carol Newell, child brain developmentalists. They help parents of children diagnosed with developmental delays and special needs. This DVD will show how to consider the who, what, when, where, why and how of your child’s total development, the critical role you as the parent play in it, and what you can do to help your child be the best he or she can be.

Mr. Newell discusses each section of the brain, and it's functions, as well as normal child development from infancy through about age six. He helps us look at our children in a way other than seeing them as "collections" of symptoms or disabilities.

You may choose to view the DVD in one of six different languages. The DVD is also divided into fifteen chapters, so you don't have to watch the whole 2+ hours at once!

Chapter titles:
  1. Introduction, by Andrew Pudewa
  2. Matthew and Carol Newell, The Family Hope Center
  3. Child Brain Development - Who's Really Driving?
  4. Why Do Brain Dysfunctions Still Exist?
  5. The Family Hope Center
  6. The Magnificent Brain
  7. The Sense of Smell
  8. The Sense of Smells in Newborns
  9. The Pons
  10. The Mid-Brain: Creeping
  11. The Cortex
  12. Diagnosis/Treatment at The Family Hope Center
  13. Physiology vs. Pathology
  14. Integrated Therapy
  15. Water and Its Effect on the Human Body


I found much of the information fascinating, and very interesting. Jen watched most of it (well, maybe just over half) with me, and found it interesting, as well. I imagine she'll watch the rest, eventually.

One thing I did find challenging was the quality of the sound. On my TV, even with the volume turned all the way up, I still could barely hear it. The living room television, with it's much-better speaker system, did improve my ability to hear it, but it still had that somewhat hollow sound, almost like the sound is recorded from the back of the room rather than directly through the speaker's microphone. (Sorry, folks; my husband is a broadcast engineer; he knows sound! ;-) )

One of the reasons I wanted to hear/see this information is because of my darling Little Bit. I know things are just "not quite right" with his brain, and I want to understand what it is, so we can help him.

Yesterday I cried while in the shower, because earlier Botanist Boy had told me that his best bud back in Florida has told Botanist Boy he cannot understand Little Bit while they are talking on the phone...but Best Bud is gracious enough to basically pretend he does, and so does his sister (who is Little Bit's best bud). One reason it hurts is, very often even I cannot understand what my son is saying!

I certainly wish I could take my boy to The Family Hope Center for an evaluation, so I could learn what is "broken" in his brain, and learn what we can do to heal him. You can view a video of some of the Stories of Family Hope on the website.

Here's a good page to read about The Family Hope Center, and some of the parts of the brain. Also be sure to read the rest of the Crew members' reviews.

To order the DVD, please call 610-397-1737, or you can order Understanding Child Brain Development from Institute for Excellence in Writing. Cost: $19.00.

Contact Information:
Website
Email
Address:
2490 Boulevard of the Generals, Suite 250
Norristown, PA 19403
Phone: 800-888-9370
Facebook
Twitter

Photobucket

*************

 photo Disclaimer2_zpsff718028.gif


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!