Wednesday, January 12, 2011

TOS Review: Virtual Nerd


Do you have a student with Algebra questions? Or do you have one who dreads physics, or geometry? Then your teenager should benefit from Virtual Nerd.


We have had the privilege of using and reviewing Virtual Nerd the past several weeks, and I am thankful for the introduction we have had to this program! Too bad it wasn't around to help my oldest as he struggled through Algebra, and Geometry! My daughter has found it interesting and helpful, though, for which I am thankful.


Just what is Virtual Nerd? It is a subscription website which offers 24/7 access to interactive video tutorials in junior high and high school math and science.  It features a convenient, personalized learning experience through the use of a whiteboard.





[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="452" caption="This is what the whiteboard looks like."][/caption]

I know I have mentioned before, and I am sure I will mention again...and again...and again: math was my weakest subject in school. It is my weakest subject to teach to my kids, too. Hence, my teens are rather extremely weak in math, as well. For me, it is very exciting to find something this useful, and easy to use!

One aspect I like is what the designers refer to as "drilling down." Say, you watch the tutorial on variables. But at the end of the explanation you wonder, okay, but what does ________ mean? You can click on the link for another tutorial that explains the answer to that, clear down to the level you already have the topic mastered.



Another neat feature is the textbook search. There is a list of Algebra textbooks, commonly used in the classroom, and the capability to search through the topics and find the tutorials to explain the concepts.

Virtual Nerd is fairly new; it was founded in 2008, by Josh Salcman and Leo Shmuylovich. You can read more about them hereVirtual Nerd won seal of approval from the Parent Tested Parent Approved org. (Jun ’10). There is an informative video on the home page which explains more about Virtual Nerd, as well.

There are several pricing options from which to choose, from as low as $5.00 for a 24-hour period, to $129.00 for a 3-month time period. While I don't see how we could pay for a 3-month subscription, or even a 1-month one, I can see us using a 1 day subscription on occasion, when my daughter seems especially stumped with something, and I am clueless as to how to explain it clearly to her. ;)

Virtual Nerd contact information:

address 710 N. 2nd Street, Suite 300 S.
St. Louis, MO 63102
phone: 877-677-NERD (6373)
website: www.virtualnerd.com
blog: blog.virtualnerd.com
twitter: twitter.com/virtualnerd
facebook: facebook.com/virtualnerd

Be sure to check out the other reviews of the TOS Crew members, by clicking on the banner below.


*****************


As a review blogger,  I am provided a free copy of the book, curriculum or product to test and use in order to write an honest review. I receive no other compensation and the opinions I share are my own and not influenced by the company in question.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!