What should I share today? This evening I will be making the Special K Roast, served with mashed potatoes, and green peas.
Maybe I'll share our Haystacks "recipe," even though I don't have a photo. Haystacks are build-it-yourself, layered salads, basically.
- You will want cooked beans (we like pintos or kidney beans best). They could be plain beans, or you could use chili beans if you want.
- Corn or tortilla chips (I like fritos best).
- Lettuce, ripped small or cut into shreds
- Alfalfa sprouts, if desired
- Finely chopped onion
- Shredded cheese
- Salsa or Picante sauce, or ketchup
- Ranch dressing, if you wish, or Catalina is good, too.
- Sour cream
You will build your salad, by placing the chips on the plate; crushing them a bit helps. Then spoon the beans, and sprinkle with cheese, so it can melt. Usually the lettuce is next, topped by the tomatoes, cucumbers, and the rest of the veggies. Top with your choice of sauce, dressing, sour cream.
Enjoy. This is a great meal to serve during these hot summer days, because you can cook the beans in the crockpot, or use canned beans, and just heat them up on the stove.
To make sure you don’t miss anything, subscribe to Life at Rossmont, or like Life at Rossmont on Facebook.
Pin It Now!