Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Q is for Queen Anne's Lace

Q is for Queen Anne's Lace

This was one of those letters for which I had to plan ahead!

On Mother's Day, when we went to visit my mother-in-law, as we were driving along one of the back roads, I saw these Queen Anne's Lace; I immediately said to my husband, "Oh, please stop! I need to take pictures of this flower, for my "Blogging Through the Alphabet" post for the letter "Q"!"

Patiently, he did. Aren't they lovely?
Queen Anne's Lace is the common name which most often refers to the species Daucus carota. Queen Anne's Lace was introduced from Europe as a medicinal plant, from which the vegetable, carrot, was bred.
A couple more resources for information about Queen Anne's Lace:
USDA Plants Database
Queen Anne's Lace

The taproots of Queen Anne's Lace are wild carrots, and are edible. Be cautious when handling this plant, though. Skin irritation is common. Also, there is a similar-looking plant, called Water Hemlock, which is deadly to eat, so beware. Don’t attempt to eat the Queen Anne’s Lace roots unless you have positive identification from an expert.

Another thing I learned is that women have used the seeds from Queen Anne's Lace for centuries as a contraceptive.

What other flowers or plants can you think of which begin with the letter "Q"?
Be sure to join the others who are Blogging Through the Alphabet.

Please be sure to subscribe to follow my blog, so you won't miss anything. For your convenience, I have linked up several possibilities for you to do so, if you'll notice over in the sidebar.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!