Monday, April 8, 2013

My Most Recent Read

The topic for this Blog Cruise is: A Good Read.

Last month I "borrowed" the book, Sue Patrick's Workbox System User's Guide, on my Kindle, using my Prime membership.

I've heard about this system for a few years now, and read a little here and there about it, so I had a vague idea of what it was all about. Frankly, I was thankful for a chance to read the book!

Sue Patrick describes a system of using plastic shoe boxes, laminated schedule strips, and more, set up in a way to make it simpler for your children to accomplish their schoolwork tasks. It is also a very "tweakable" system.

Mrs. Patrick developed this system for her son with Autism, which was "loosely based on the structured teaching approach from Division TEACCH (Treatment and Education of Autistic and related Communication-handicapped Children), a division of the UNC Department of Psychiatry."

Chapter titles include:
  1. The Benefits of Homeschooling
  2. How We Teach and Train
  3. What is the Workbox System?
  4. Who is the System for?
  5. How a Day Works
  6. Curriculum and Materials
  7. Breaking Down Curriculum for Success
  8. Life Skill Foundations
  9. Discipline and the Workbox System
  10. Problem Solving and Specializing Your Child's Education
  11. Family Dynamics and Homeschooling
  12. Tips, Tricks and Problem Solving
Here are a few pictures of what our system looks like, at this point. Botanist Boy's is set up in our "classroom," while Little Bit's is set up in the hallway, outside my bedroom.


I'm using a combination of sets of drawers and the plastic shoe boxes. I've numbered each of them, and placed Velcro dots on them as well. That way, I can mark which boxes they need my help with.


On the schedule strips (which also have Velcro dots on them), on which I can place number squares, as well as other activities they can do (like Legos, or the Wii, or taking a short break), which have Velcro dots on the backs of them, too.

We are very new at using this system; in fact, last week was our first week! I think the boys like seeing what they have to accomplish for the day, and knowing that they are "free" after they're finished.

I like the way it frees me up a bit. The boys bring me the schoolwork they are working on, when they need my help. Otherwise they are able to work independently.

Later, I may try adding a center for doing poster work.

Be sure to check out the book, and Sue Patrick's website, for more information.

Be sure to see what other Crew members have been reading. (Link will go live Tuesday, April 9, 2013).


Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. Your workboxes look great! Hope they continue to be a success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of the schedule strips.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!