Sunday, July 29, 2012

Blogging Through the Alphabet: W


W is for Whooping Crane!

When I was in 9th grade, I did a report on Endangered and Extinct animals. One of the endangered animals I included was the Whooping Crane. In the 1940s the species was reduced to just 15 birds. By 1970, that number had increased to nearly 60.

Thanks to dedicated volunteers, the count is now up to 300-400 or so Whoopers, total.


Since I am currently writing an article, which will be published on the Schoolhouse Review Crew blog in October, about bird migration, I won't go in to too much detail at this time. You'll have to check back then!

Mean time, you can check out these websites, which will provide you with information about Whooping Cranes, and what is being done to help them come back from the brink of extinction.

Operation Migration
Journey North
International Crane Foundation
Whooping Crane Eastern Partnership

Be sure to join the others who are Blogging Through the Alphabet. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!