Sunday, May 1, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal~15


In my life this week...

This has been quite a week...actually past two weeks! I didn't even post this journal last weekend!!

Last weekend was so busy! Hubby had a long weekend (Friday through Sunday), because of the Easter weekend. He spent the weekend building/preparing more space for more rabbits. Then I got a call from my friend who has goats, saying she had two for us, right now; two nannies, that are already milking! She had to clear out her herd right away, for health reasons to the goats.

So in addition to 6 more rabbits, we got two goats. We have had a crash course in learning goat care and how to milk. They are producing about a gallon a day! Now we are trying to figure out how to use that much milk! ;)

Wednesday afternoon and late into the night, I watched, live online, with horror the storms wreak havoc across Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee. As I watched the live-streaming video of the mammoth tornado strike first Tuscaloosa, then Birmingham, I knew immediately the devastation would be astronomical. Since then, I have seen pictures/video clips of the utter ruin throughout these states, and pray constantly for those affected. I can't help but weep with those who weep!

I have many online and real-life friends who live in these areas, many homeschooling friends. I've been asking how they fared, anxiously waiting to hear back from them. My best friend from high school lives in/near Ringgold! I was much relieved to see her post on Facebook that she is okay; her place is okay. It is a relief to hear my friends' lives have been spared; most of them were spared damage to their homes.....But some of them, many of them, have friends or neighbors who were not so fortunate.

Then we switch gears dramatically on Friday. Yes, Teen Girl and I actually got up early, to watch the Royal Wedding live. She watched most of it with me, then her stomach began hurting, so she went back to bed to try sleeping some more.

It was a lovely wedding. I enjoyed all the music; would have loved being there in person, to experience the acoustics!

My favorite quote from the ceremony: " 'Be who God meant you to be and you will set the world on fire.'

So said St Catherine of Siena, whose festival day it is today. Marriage is intended to be a way in which man and woman help each other to become what God meant each one to be, their deepest and truest selves."

From the wedding sermon of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge

The wedding that day, on April 29, affected me in more ways than one. Twenty-seven years ago, on April 29, was my first wedding. The day I married Teenager and Teen Girl's father.....my best friend. Sometimes I feel such deep sorrow that that marriage crumbled. We used to sing duets; I sometimes think what a powerful ministry we could have had, if only.....

Then last evening Teen Girl and I attended the high school graduation for our homeschool group. It was a very special service! Even though we haven't had much chance to get that well acquainted with this group (since this was our first year), it was still very touching. It also made me realize: I will never be prepared for approximately a year from now, when it is Teen Girl's turn!!

In our homeschool this week...

It seems our main focus this week has been learning how to care for and milk goats! I think Teen Girl also dissected the starfish/sea star, in front of an "audience"...her little brothers and the neighbor girl.

Places we're going and people we're seeing...

Last Saturday night, we drove in to Baton Rouge, to pick up dear step daughter; played miniature golf; then ate supper. It rarely happens when all seven of us do something together, so it was a real treat.

Friday we met a homeschooling mom in a nearby town, and picked up our puppy: a male Great Pyrenees. We want a good guardian dog for our goats, chickens, kids.... ;)

Yesterday, as I already said, Teen Girl and I attended church in the morning, then went to the graduation ceremony in the evening.

My favorite thing this week was...

I think that would have to be seeing the expression on Teen Girl's face the first time she saw the puppy!! Too bad I don't have a photo of it! But it for sure will be etched in my memory.

What's working/not working for us...

I have made a very painful discovery: I cannot milk goats! I tried, and do have the ability....but my hand just cannot handle it. The pain became excruciating, and even made my hand go numb. I will have to leave it to the kids to do the milking. Teen Girl and Botany Boy have learned very quickly, and are getting quite good at it! We are very thankful for neighbors who already know how to milk, and are willing to come help out sometimes. So I gladly share some of our milk with them!!

Homeschool questions/thoughts I have...

Now we will begin learning what we can make/do with all that goat milk!

I will also begin preparing for Teen Girl's graduation next year: picking photos for the slide show; writing the little speech I must attempt to present to her; preparing memorabilia for the table at the reception; collecting tissues, to have enough on hand for that day! ;)

A photo, video, link, or quote to share...

I'm sharing more than one video this time.....










Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!