Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Memoir Monday--Week 20

Here it is, Wednesday, and I still don't have my Memoir Monday post up....I guess I was just feeling lazy in that respect, or more specifically, I was feeling the need for a break from blogging over the weekend. I didn't even post my Monday menu plan over on my kitchen blog!

Oh, well, better late than never!

This week's topics are about some of my favorite people: teachers! Frankly, I come from a long line of teachers, and am a teacher myself, of sorts. Teaching is a tough job, especially if one is going to do a good job at it! Most teachers I know/have known, put themselves totally into their jobs, trying to make a real difference in the lives of the children they teach.

Do you remember the name of the teacher who had the biggest impact on you?  Who was it?  Tell something about that person and that time in your life.


Well, as I've said before, my parents are retired church school teachers. I was in their classrooms from grades 2-9. So, you can be assured they are the ones who had the biggest impact on me!

Our years in North Carolina, they taught in a two-teacher school, so they were the only teachers there. Those were good years, in many ways. What stand out the most are the field trips we took (to the Outer Banks, Williamsburg and Washington, D.C., the Smokies, etc.); the Spelling Stars, and the activities being a Spelling Star earned; the concerts Mom and Dad took us to at the university monthly (?).

The school we were in by the time I was in ninth grade, was a larger school. Mom was my home room teacher. The principal taught us World History; and the 7th & 8th grade home room teacher taught our Algebra and Biology. My dad taught 3rd & 4th grade.

My biology/algebra teacher, I'd say, made the biggest impact on my life, aside from my mom and dad. He was able to explain things clearly, in a way I was able to understand. He also showed us he cared about each of us. He was fun-loving, yet he could be serious, too.

I had a hard time feeling like I "fit in" there; I was shy; I was pretty picky about what kind of music I liked listening to (only Christian or classical music), not the popular music/rock music the rest of the kids seemed to like. My teacher had many talks with me, encouraging me to be more outgoing, to be who I really am, etc. And of course he was one of the teachers I asked to fill out a personal reference for me, when I applied to the boarding school in Tennessee (which is where I went for the rest of my high school years).

Do you remember having a teacher that had a negative impact on you?  If so, what happened?  How did you get past it?


The teacher I had in 9th grade, who taught our World History class...well, it was a very boring class. His method of teaching made me hate history!

I didn't learn how totally fascinating World History could be until I took art history while working on my Bachelor's Degree!

**************************
Please stay tuned for more episodes of Memoir Mondays!

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!