Friday, December 3, 2010

Psalm 39--Life is Short

 1 I said, "I will be careful how I act
       and will not sin by what I say.
    I will be careful what I say
       around wicked people."
 2 So I kept very quiet.
       I didn't even say anything good,
       but I became even more upset.
 3 I became very angry inside,
       and as I thought about it, my anger burned.
       So I spoke:
 4 "Lord, tell me when the end will come
       and how long I will live.
       Let me know how long I have.
 5 You have given me only a short life;
       my lifetime is like nothing to you.
       Everyone's life is only a breath.   
                         Selah

 6 People are like shadows moving about.
       All their work is for nothing;
       they collect things but don't know who will get them.

 7 "So, Lord, what hope do I have?
       You are my hope.
 8 Save me from all my sins.
       Don't let wicked fools make fun of me.
 9 I am quiet; I do not open my mouth,
       because you are the one who has done this.
 10 Quit punishing me;
       your beating is about to kill me.
 11 You correct and punish people for their sins;
       like a moth, you destroy what they love.
       Everyone's life is only a breath.   
                         Selah
 

 12 "Lord, hear my prayer,
       and listen to my cry.
       Do not ignore my tears.
    I am like a visitor with you.
       Like my ancestors, I'm only here a short time.
 13 Leave me alone so I can be happy
       before I leave and am no more." (Psalm 39, New Century Version) Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!