Monday, October 25, 2010

Memoir Mondays--Week 5

Welcome back to this week's edition of Memoir Mondays. Again we have a weather related question.

Do you like rainstorms? Why or why not?

When I was a child, it wasn't so much the rainstorms I didn't like, but the thunder and lightning that usually goes with them.  I remember that my little black Pekingese and I would huddle together under the covers of my bed during thunderstorms, in North Carolina.

During my high school years, at the boarding school in Tennessee, I thought it was enjoyable to run through the rain. Sometimes on our Sabbath afternoon hikes, if it had recently rained, some of my friends and I would shake trees, to make the drops from the leaves fall onto each other!  Watching for rainbows was pleasurable, too.

Describe the most serious illness or accident you have had.

There are actually a couple accidents I remember.

The first one was during my 8th grade year, when we lived in Mobile. I was horseback riding with one of my classmates. We had been riding for quite awhile, and it was almost time to leave. I decided I want to make one more run down the driveway and back. The horse decided it wanted to hurry and get back to the barn! and no longer wished to have a rider! The horse began bucking, while galloping at full speed. I went flying through the air, and landed with a thud. Of course, the wind was knocked out of me! And I literally could not bend over for a week afterward, my back hurt so badly.

My other accident involved a bicycle, and took place 30 years ago this month. It was during the school picnic, my senior year. My boyfriend and I were riding bikes on a road around the recreation area. I was riding the bike of one of the junior class boys, and it was a tad too big for me...and the brakes weren't the best. I got to going too fast down a long slight decline with a curve near the bottom, when I saw a freshman boy riding toward me on a bike. I swung to the outer edge, so we wouldn't collide...only, I collided with a tree!

I still believe it is a miracle that I didn't go flying over the handle bars, and hit my head on that tree! I quickly drew a crowd, too!! My boyfriend, and the boy whose bike I was riding were soon there, asking how I was. I kept asking about the bike, and all the boy would say was: Don't worry about the bike! It's replaceable, but you aren't!

The most serious illness I have had was when my appendix ruptured. It was after I had my first two children, during the first time I was a single mom. My daughter was only 21 months old, and was still nursing. I think I was in the hospital about a week, then of course on strong pain meds for at least a week after that. Thus ended our nursing experience! Naturally my kids had to stay with a friend during that time.

**************************
Please stay tuned for more episodes of Memoir Mondays!





Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. You've had some scary encounters! I feel for you dealing with a baby and your appendix as a single mom. I remember how tough it was just getting through the day with little ones on my own without having to worry about my health. Glad you had good friends around to help!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!