Sunday, August 15, 2010

Download N Go: Roller Coasters!

Roller Coasters


My first review on the Download N Go review team is for the Roller Coasters unit.  In some ways, it was a bit of a challenge to work on this unit....only because we aren't at home (we're still at my folks')...and yet, that displays one of the beauties of homeschooling: we could bring it with us, and work on it away from home! This was also our very first experience with Download N Go units!

At first my boys were grumbling, and complaining that they just knew it was going to be boring! ;) One of the very first activities in the unit is to watch a couple video clips of roller coaster rides. That totally captivated my boys, who have never been on a roller coaster.

I was impressed with the layout of the unit. The information is shared in an easy manner, using video clips, links to informational websites, fill-in-the-blank type worksheets, and lapbooking elements. There is also a list of suggested books, and a few videos,  for each day....most of which you may be able to find at your library.

At first I was planning to have my 10 year old mostly do the worksheets, and my 8 year old do the lapbook components, but I ended up doing some of the worksheets orally, and printing off two copies of some of them, as well as most of the lapbook  elements, for the boys to each have their own notebooks/lapbooks.

The daily objectives covered:

Day 1: What Is a Roller Coaster?
Day 2: The History of Roller Coasters
Day 3: People and Places of Roller Coasters
Day 4: Science Secrets of Roller Coasters/Rides
Day 5: Goodies and Gadgets of Roller Coasters


A few other subjects covered are: gravity, Sir Isaac Newton, Newton's first law of motion, physics, Japan, and the history of amusement parks. If you watched CBS Sunday Morning today, you may have noticed the short clip about the amusement park in Copenhagen...which, we learned in this study, is the world's oldest operating amusement park.

My boys are now eagerly anticipating their first roller coaster ride....which I would like for them to experience sometime soon, if I can find one at a small carnival or county fair in the near future.

Roller Coasters


Be sure to head over to Download N Go to pick up your own copy, for just $7.95. Your K-4th graders will be glad you did!!


By the way, I have been afforded the exciting opportunity to give away a copy of Roller Coasters!! To enter this drawing, be sure to leave a comment, including a way to contact you. Follow my blog, for another chance, and write in the comments that you've done this. Also, mention this review on Facebook, Twitter, your own blog, or on email groups you may be on. For each time you mention it elsewhere, come back here and post a comment stating where you mentioned it, and you will have another entry in the drawing. But hurry, you only have until August 25 to enter! ;-)


*******As part of the the Download N Go review team, I have been provided with a copy of this unit to use, review, and blog about.*******

Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. I would love to win a copy of this unit to use with my boys. We experienced our first theme park vacation this past summer. This was the first time the boys had been on a roller coaster. Thanks.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodi, would you send me your email address, so I can make sure you get the Roller Coasters Download N Go?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!