Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Spring is coming!....Honest, it is!!......

Get up, my dear friend…come to me!
Look around you: Winter is over;
The winter rains are over, gone!
Spring Flowers are in blossom all over.
The whole world’s a choir---and singing!
Spring warblers are filling the forest
With sweet arpeggios.
Lilacs are exuberantly purple and perfumed,
And cherry trees fragrant with blossoms.
O, get up, dear friend,
…--come to me!
Song of Solomon 2
The Message, by Peterson



This is such a wonderful passage, a reminder that spring is coming, and to watch for the signs as they shyly begin to appear.

I have been enjoying watching the birds at the feeders that hang from the dogwood just outside my bedroom window. Dozens of goldfinches, slowly changing from olive to gold; chickadees and titmice; cardinals, blue jays, even a downy woodpecker on occasion. The yard is full of robins. Yesterday there were flocks of cedar waxwings all around in the tops of the trees, and coming down to the mud puddles to drink.

There are patches of daffodils beginning to bloom around town, and camellias bravely trying to blossom. The buds are beginning to swell on the dogwood.

We have had more than enough rain this winter, and have had snow in the forecast at least four times throughout the season. I know other parts of the country have had much more snow, ice, sleet, and yuck! than we have had here. If I were a couple decades younger, I might wish to be in that much snow; now, I am thankful to not have to shovel that white stuff!! 

Be sure to pull out your nature journals, and begin recording the signs of spring you happen to observe. A wonderful one can be found at the Five in a Row digital store. Enjoy!

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!