Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Planning for High School

One of my favorite parts of homeschooling is planning. Yeah, maybe I'm nerdy that way. I like to plan and organize, and get things all laid out. Then life happens! The plans don't always go as I envisioned. Still, being prepared is always a good thing.

I have planned for high school twice, and we are well underway with our third high schooler. Frankly, it has been a different approach with each one. And I've learned more about planning each time.

My oldest took more of a vocational preparation approach, and even had a job the last year and a half of his high school years. He also expressed interest in auto mechanics, so hubby helped him learn some of the basics of auto repair and maintenance.

My daughter has always expressed a strong interest in animals and animal care. She also has a wonderful rapport with children. So while she was homeschooling high school, I made sure she had a quality microscope, and that she had proper tools and specimens for dissecting.

My current high schooler has long expressed the desire to become a Seventh-day Adventist pastor. A few weeks ago, he said he is interested in becoming a missionary.

In our planning, for all three of them, it was and is with the hopes that they would be able to attend our Seventh-day Adventist university in southeast Tennessee. So we have researched what the admission requirements are for that university, and planned our high school years with that goal in mind.
I have pulled out the high school planning sheet, and filled in the classes under each grade. On the University's website, they even provide a recommended sequence, so I have planned our courses with those suggestions in mind.
After I figure out what courses my high schooler will take, and decide which year each one will be covered, I then begin pulling together all the books and materials he will need for each subject. To be honest, I have boards on Pinterest for each school year. I've been pinning the resources onto them. For my current high schooler: Ninth grade; Tenth grade; Eleventh grade; Twelfth grade.

I will admit, I am much more intentional with my high school planning for my current high schooler, than I was with the older two. Too bad it has taken me this long to "get the hang of it!"

You will want to see how my friends plan for homeschooling their high schoolers.

Meg from Adventures with Jude on Planning Your Homeschool High School
Chareen at Every Bed of Roses with thoughts on Planning to Homeschool through the High School Years
April from ElCloud Homeschool shares Homeschooling High School: Planning For High School
Debra over at Footprints in the Butter asks: You mean I have to PLAN our Homeschool High School?!?
Michele at Family, Faith and Fridays shares Here's the Plan
Lisa at Golden Grasses says Don't Panic! Homeshcooling High School Blog Hop
Debbie at Debbie's Homeschool Corner Planning Out a High School Program
Gena over at I Choose Joy! shares her The Top Tip for Planning Homeschool High School
Kym at Homeschool Coffee Break shares on Planning and Preparing for Success
Tess from Circling Through This Life shares on Planning the High School Years
Erica over at Be The One shares Planning and Record Keeping for High School
Jennifer from A Glimpse of Our Life on Planning For Homeschooling Highschool
Carol over at Home Sweet Life on Making A Plan
Cristi from Through the Calm and Through the Storm shares on Making High School Plans
Dawn Oaks at Double O Farms shares Planning for the High School Years
Leah from As We Walk Along the Road shares her thoughts on Making Plans for Homeschooling Through High School
Laura from Day by Day in Our World shares Planning High School Classes for the Homeschool Parent

To make sure you don’t miss anything, subscribe to Life at Rossmont, or like Life at Rossmont on Facebook.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!