Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Leadership Garden Legacy {Schoolhouse Review Crew}

Every person is a unique seed in the world’s garden.
Each seed grows a leader from which greatness can blossom.
Imagine the future of our planet if we nurture each child to sprout greatness.

— Debra J. Slover
A few weeks ago, we were given the opportunity to review items from Leadership Garden Legacy. We received: U.N.I.Q.U.E. Kids: Growing My Leadership Garden (ages 5-12), U.N.I.Q.U.E.: Growing the Leader Within (ages 13 through adult), and The Leadership Garden Guidebook, as well as some downloads.

When I was first looking over the materials and reading the descriptions, I thought it would be a good fit for Botanist Boy. You see, he hopes to be a pastor some day, and pastors need leadership skills. His other "passion" is plants, and he has a desire to be a landscaper.

Then we received the materials, and I began reading through the books, etc., I found it wasn't quite what I expected. I also saw that it ought to be quite beneficial for all of us in this household.

You see, the focus seems to be on discovering the negative "weeds" in your life, and replacing them with positive "plants." Negative thoughts, feelings, behaviors; past experiences in your life that trigger these today. Replace them with positive thoughts, feelings and behaviors, and how you can choose to react in positive ways.

What does the acronym, U.N.I.Q.U.E. mean?
  • Understanding
  • Nurturing
  • Inventive
  • Quality
  • Unstoppable
  • Expression
I worked on the Kids book with Little Bit. He enjoyed listening to the audio book, while following along in the book. The kids book is a fable, about a sheep, named Hugh, and Annabelle, a Border Collie. Annabelle guides Hugh through the Leadership Garden, helping him learn lessons of pulling the negative weeds, and planting leadership seeds in his life.

Then we worked in his journal. While he enjoyed the story about Hugh, I think most of the exercises in the journal were a bit "over his head." I'm not sure he really comprehended the point of the exercises, etc.

My desire was to have Tim, Jen, and the Botanist Boy all working through the Growing the Leader Within book and workbook, either along with me, or individually. (I actually gave Botanist Boy the choice between this, or the kids' book)

Growing the Leader Within contains the fable about Hugh as well. In addition, it includes the author, Debra Slover's, personal life experiences, as well as "lesson interludes," and exercises to be completed.

Here, again, Botanist Boy enjoyed reading the book (or listening to the audio book while following along), but not so much working on the exercises. Maybe we'll try the exercises in a couple years or so.

I really had hoped he and the older two would see the benefits of some of these exercises, given some of our past experiences (my having gone through two divorces; the older two having lost two fathers, and the younger two having lost one), and how those experiences impact their current lives, and could impact their futures.

One thing I do wish about this program is that it could be more Christ-centered, as He is the only One who can heal our past and empower us for leadership.

At the end of each chapter of the Kids book is included the Oregon Standards Description and Character Education goals to aide in the integration of the lessons into your classroom, youth program or home. Even if you aren’t an Oregon educator, the descriptions should help you map them against the standards in your state.

Cost:
U.N.I.Q.U.E. Kids: Growing My Leadership Garden, $18.95
U.N.I.Q.U.E. KIDS Activity Guide & Journal - PDF Downloads, $8.95
U.N.I.Q.U.E. KIDS Audio Book - MP3 Download, $8.95
U.N.I.Q.U.E.: Growing the Leader Within, $18.95
The Leadership Garden Guidebook - paperback, $18.95
U.N.I.Q.U.E.: Growing the Leader Within - Audio Book MP3 Download, $14.95
(or all together as a Family Empowerment Took Kit, for $76.25)

Leadership Garden Legacy is offering the The Old Schoolhouse Community a “Spring Special Discount” of 20% on all their Empowerment Tools. This is in addition to their already discounted Tool Kit bundles.

To receive your discount, enter the discount code: TOS-SS20D upon checkout. This is a limited time offer and the code will expire on May 31, 2013.

Contact Information:
Website
Email
Address:
Leadership Garden® Enterprises, LLC
P.O. Box 841
Albany, OR 97321 
Phone: 541-928-2232
Facebook
Twitter 

Photobucket


*****************

 photo Disclaimer2_zpsff718028.gif

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!