Tuesday, December 6, 2011

TOS Review: Artistic Pursuits (Senior High, book 1)

I've long desired an art history, art appreciation, art composition course for my high schoolers. I've heard good reports about Artistic Pursuits for several years now, so was really excited for the opportunity to check it out for ourselves!

My oldest son (who is a graduate of our home school) has always been naturally artistically inclined, and quite talented. I really wish I had been able to purchase this course for him, "way back then."

My daughter is also very artistic and creative. It seems she has always felt like she doesn't draw well. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact she probably compares her work to her older brother's work. But give her some yarn and a crochet hook, or other craft supplies, and she comes up with her own works of art!

Personally, I'd rather express my artistic self with my camera, and scrapbooking! ;-)

So, what is Artistic Pursuits all about?

At Artistic Pursuits Inc., we believe every child can understand the concepts of art and enjoy the process of putting ideas and visual images on paper. We're committed to the goal of helping children become visually aware of the wonderful world we live in, and be able to work in creative ways within this world. We offer parents and teachers a simple way to give children a quality art education that will prepare them to meet creative challenges in their future endeavors.
Artistic Pursuits is written to the student, so your student works independently. Each of the Senior High books contains 64 lessons, which cover art appreciation and art history, in addition to composition. Four varied approaches to the study of each topic are used for greater fluency and comprehension.

Book 1, The Elements of Art and Composition, provides your student with an in-depth experience using the elements of art and composition. A solid foundation is laid for your student, whether a first time high school art student, or not.

Topics covered:

The Elements of Art
  • Space
  • Line
  • Texture
  • Shape
  • Form
  • Value
  • Contrast and Unity
Composition
  • Balance
  • Rhythm
  • Depth by Overlapping
  • Depth by Position and Size
  • One and Two Point Perspective
  • Atmospheric Perspective
  • Proportion, the Face
  • Proportion, the Figure
  • Clothing the Figure
Each of those Units is broken down in to four lessons:
  1. Building a Visual Vocabulary
  2. Art Appreciation and Art History
  3. Techniques
  4. Application
You will find a list of necessary art supplies here. You can also find supply kits listed here. Fortunately we had most of the supplies listed for the first semester already on hand, thanks to my oldest son.

One of Teen Girl's sketches:


I think, starting next school year, I'd really like to try this curriculum out for Botanist Boy, at the Junior High level. And later, it will be available for Little Bit, since the books are non-consumable! (Adding to my wishlist, to see if the grandparents can help out.... ;-) )


There are several levels of curriculum: Preschool, K-3, 4-6. Junior High (grades 7 & 8), and Senior High (grades 9-12). Each book costs $42.95.

Contact information:

Website

Email: alltheanswers@artisticpursuits.com

Address:
Artistic Pursuits Inc.
2626 East 109th Avenue
Northglenn Colorado 80233

Phone: 303-467-0504

Be sure to read what my fellow Crew mates have to say about Artistic Pursuits.



*****************
As a review blogger, I am provided a free copy of the book, curriculum or product to test and use in order to write an honest review. I receive no other compensation and the opinions I share are my own and not influenced by the company in question.

  Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. Thanks!